Your Primary Care Physician
Selecting your primary care physician is one of your first, and most important, steps on the road to health. You’ll want to choose carefully, because your primary care physician will be the most significant member on your healthcare team. He or she will:
- Manage and coordinate all of your healthcare needs
- Be the first person you turn to for help with routine check-ups, wellness programs, preventive care, illness, injury, medications, and referrals to other medical professionals and facilities like specialists, hospitals, emergency rooms, and urgent care centers
Tips for Selecting Your Doctor
Different primary care physicians may specialize in caring for certain age groups, so consider your age and the ages of any other family members who will be working with your primary care physician.
- General and family practice physicians are primary care physicians who generally work with patients of any age, including children, adults and seniors.
- Pediatricians are physicians who specialize in the care of children from birth through teen years.
- Internal medicine physicians generally work with adults.
- Geriatric physicians specialize in caring for older adults.
Once you’ve made your selection, be sure to set up an appointment for a routine exam and office visit right away, even if you're currently in good health. This initial visit is very important so that your primary care physician can become familiar with your medical history. The more your primary care physician knows, the better care you will receive.
For questions or help choosing a doctor, call our customer service department:
(818) 654-3400 or (866) 654-3471 TDD/TTY users call (818) 654-3485.
To view a map of our clinics, click here. Whether you are a Regal or Lakeside member, you can visit any of our clinic locations to get the care that you and your family need. Most of our clinics are open weekends and holidays – and have extended hours for your convenience. Some are available for same day appointments.